Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Flower Garden Question

For the past 5 or 6 years I have been growing a plant that I lovingly refer to as the "Shirley Plant". Reason is I have no idea the name of the plant. Friend Shirley gave me a start from hers. She purchased the plant from a roadside garden in the southern part of Oklahoma. She didn't get the name then so was unable to tell me.

Each fall I break off about 3 healthy stems and put in potting soil. They root easily enough. Then the plants are kept along with my plants that I keep in the well house or garage during the winter.

This plant is easy to grow in a pot - if the ground gets too dry it will wilt some what - but after a good watering it will perk right back.

The flowers are small - maybe the size of a quarter - but no larger than that.

So if any of you have any idea what this plant is called - please let me know. I have researched many web pages over the years but no luck. However, it is kind of hard to research a "green plant with reddish pink flowers".

100_1324
100_1325
100_1326 The leaves are thick and what I call fleshy.

Any ideas, please let me know.

14 comments:

Marilyn said...

My friend had one of these last year. I'll see if she remembers the name. It is very pretty!

Hazel said...

Don't know what it is but it sure is pretty .

Kristie said...

hmmmmm....I don't have a clue what it is called but it is very pretty! Love the pink bloom!
Kristie

Michelle said...

Wish I could help. We'll just call it,'Pretty flowers'.
Sorry,
Michelle

Darlene said...

I have no clue but it sure is pretty. The leaves have a succulent look.

Jen said...

Sorry I sure don't know. I agree with Darlene; or a sedum type plant. I did a little search to and can't find anything.
Sure is pretty and lucky you have such a green thumb.

scrappydee said...

Being from the desert - this is familiar -it grows well in the sun. It's an Ice Plant - Aptenia cordifolia - or Baby Sun Rose. I like your name for it too - it has a history!

scrappydee said...

Being from the desert - this is familiar -it grows well in the sun. It's an Ice Plant - Aptenia cordifolia - or Baby Sun Rose. I like your name for it too - it has a history!

Belvie said...

I think it is a variety of an ice plant. My local nursery has some of it growing in a landscape bed and I admire it every year when I go for plants.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Don't know what it is, but I like it! What sweet little pink flowers! :)

Your bathroom below is beautiful! Love the framed quote in that pretty black frame! ~hugs, Rhonda

Victoria said...

Oh, I love the plant! It's totally different than the ice plant I have. Beautiful!

By the way, you need to check out our post today. wink wink. I think there's something that you will like.

:)

Christina said...

I have seen it before, but didn't know what it is. Looks like others have helped you.

It is always wonderful when you can root plants easily--My favorite kind.

Halcyon said...

I checked around on the internet and I think it may be in this plant family.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delosperma

But whatever it is - it's pretty!

Tropical Screamer said...

So pretty.

Darilyn