This week has found me in the sewing room- that is not unusual - but this week the sewing has been on new items for Granddaughter Amelia due to be born mid February.
Back when Daughter found out she was pregnant she asked if I would make some things for her that would be in the sewing department. She can sew some - but with working full time and a 4 year old her 24 hour clock is already filled. She says, "Mother, I could do it, but you do it so much faster." True, I am faster - but then I certainly have more time than she does.
These pictures will show some of the things I have been working on in the baby department. These are prefolded cloth diapers, dyed a bright yellow and then either a fabric strip or ribbon sewn on them. These make the best burp cloths...Daughter had received some when she was pregnant the first time and loved them. She has made quite a few for gifts in the past few years. There were 5 yellow ones left from that project - so I added the ribbon or fabric strips. I used that clear plastic thread - it looks great - but I think is a pain to use in sewing. I have a dozen white diapers to be dyed a bright pink and make them up for her.
About three weeks ago when helping Daughter sort through some baby stuff and deciding whether to keep it or put in a garage sale we came across some jeans. She was going to put them in the sale stack and I suggested I put some embroidery stuff on them to help make look more "girly". She was excited at the way they have turned out...she said I would have got 50 cents at the garage sale for them...but if I had went out and purchased them they would have cost $12.00 or more .
You should see these in person - they are so cute on the little jeans. My machine is just one of those regular sewing machines that has some embroidery stitches too. (Yes, I want one of those embroidery machines - but just can not justify the expense in my mind. But maybe someday I will get one on the low end of the price chain...or maybe I will just dream about it.)
These are the bumper pads I finished awhile ago. I found the fabric, liked it and bought what was on the bolt. It was on the $1.00 per yard table at Wal-Mart...I asked the clerk to estimate how many yards was on it...she figured somewhere between 11 and 12 yards...but would just charge me for $11.00...so I took it. I knew these were the colors Daughter was wanting to use so I thought I would take a gamble on the pattern. I lucked out - she was thrilled with it. Will make the dust ruffle some time this week. In my fabric stash (poly/cotton blend) I have bright pink and a deep rose/burgundy- both of these are solid colors so will make a couple of sheets to match the pads. Daughter had already picked out a baby quilt in the colors of rose, pink and burgundy that I had made sometime ago...so looks everything is coming around to matching. Now to find either the curtains or the fabric to complete the intended look.
Also finished a quilt this week - and it has already been given away. I will post some pictures of it later though.
May God bless you!