Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Ginger Snap Cookies

Seems like fall time is the best time to make these cookies. Perhaps it is the color - the brownish gold with a hint of sparkle - but probably it is the taste that lingers on your tongue after eating one (or two - or three - or we quit counting).

Most ginger cookies require the dough to be chilled...then rolled out just so...and cut into various shapes...now that is good and fine if you wish to take that much trouble...but oft times I prefer to get to the finished product as soon as possible.

Another reason I am making these cookies is we are invited to some friends annual fall weiner roast this coming Saturday. These cookies freeze perfectly - so no one will know that I did not bake them on Saturday afternnon. Here is the recipe - which by the way I got from my sister many years ago.

Ginger Snaps

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses

Measure flour, ginger, soda, cinnamon and salt.
Put aside.


Cream shortening until soft. gradually
add sugar - cream until light and fluffy.


Beat in egg and molasses - add dry
ingredients - blend well.


Form teaspoons of dough into small balls by
rolling them lightly between palms of hands. Roll
dough in granulated sugar to cover entire surface.


Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.


Bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes for soft
cookies or longer if you want crisp ones...but just until
tops are crackly and light brown.


Let cool on cookie sheet.


Bake up a batch and share with your loved ones.



14 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

The cookies look yummy - especially on your new plate! Thanks for the recipe. I love Ginger Snaps but have never tried making them for myself!

Michelle said...

Your cookies look wonderful, and especially on your new plate!
Have a great day!
Michelle

Kristie said...

mmmmm...I love ginger snaps! I can remember eating them with my grandmother as a child, they were her favorite. Your cookies really brought back so good memories for me, what I wouldn't give to taste her cookies again. I think I may try your recipe soon, maybe my boys would like them. Enjoy your weiner roast!!!
Kristie

Bo said...

My goodness I haven't thought of Ginger Snap Cookies in eons. My grandmother used to keep them stocked up for us kids...this brought back memories.Thanks
;-) Bo

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Amelia, These look so delicious! I have never had any homemade ginger snaps, so I am going to try these! Ashley and I both LOVE ginger snaps! I also like that you can freeze these! It would be nice to have on hand in the freezer! :)

Love the dishes you pictured below! ...especially the yellow set! What a great find! Hope you are having a great week! ~Rhonda :)

Norma said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I don't have a good one for ginger snaps and this looks so good. When my hunters come home, I am going to try them.

Got any milk?

bj said...

ummm, these sound so good. I have always loved Ginger Snaps and buy them often...I will try this recipe as soon as I get home from THE CRUISE...:O)
love, bj

Belvie said...

Mmmm....ginger snaps! I bet your kitchen smells wonderful after baking them.

Chanda said...

The recipe sounds good and I saved it to try later. I love spice cookies with my coffee in the cooler weather. Hope you are having a blessed week,
Shanda

Victoria said...

I've never made Ginger Snaps but I might just try this recipe. They sound wonderful. Hmmmm right now I could go for one with some decaf coffee. :)

PS Love your name. :) It was the only girl name my hubs & I could agree on when my baby girl was born.

Victoria said...

Ok, so my Amelia & I made the cookies this afternoon and they are heavenly!!!

Granny Lyn said...

Oh, Ginger Snaps are so perfect for this weather!! and I'll bet your house smells sooooo good!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love ginger snaps after they have cooled - I spread cream cheese on top! Yummy! blessings, marlene

Picket said...

Oh wow those look good....mama use to buy a biog bag of them every week when I was a little girl..it has been a long time since I have even had one! Hope is well for you and yours and thanks so much for coming by and for the sweet comment about our little granddaughter's birth...God has been mighty god to us..take care girl and have a great weekend!