This is the first time I have ever planted sunflowers in our garden. We had part of a row that was not scheduled for any vegetable - so planted the mammoth type sunflowers.
Let me tell you this has been an experience - a learning one. We had some kind of bug, worm or something in that category that would bore a hole into the stalk about 10 to 12 inches below the flower. Then the insect varmit would eat all the inside of the stalk - which in turn caused the flower head to droop over and the weight would cause the stalk to break. So much for that large sunflower - this did not happen on all plants though. As soon as we noticed what was happening we put sevin (bug killer) on them. The large head was lost to the bad bug - but the plant survived and came back with more flowers - only small ones - like this one.
This one is through with the blooming process - if the birds and squirrels leave it alone the seeds will mature. Probably won't happen as the squirrels climb the stalk to eat the flowers.
This is one that had won the battle so far...quite large and pretty! Some of the plants grew tall - some did not - like in this shot.
Now isn't that a wonderful looking flower....