Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Favorite Ones - Flowers

I like flowers...red, pink, white, purple, yellow, brown, blue and all colors in between.

But some of my very favorite ones blooming now are ones that love the heat. Also are able to withstand high temperatures.

Then the best part of these blooming beauties is the vegetable that comes from their blossom. This one belongs to a okra plant. We like this vegetable fixed any way - boiled - pickled - but the absolute best way is fried. Home fried - not like they serve in restaurants that is more breading than okra - I want to be able to taste the okra.
These lovely blossoms belong to a yellow squash plant. Lots of people fix them in different ways - and I have tried - but still come back to liking them best fried. I am referring to the squash - I have seen recipes for fried squash blossom - but have never tried it.

Oh, I know that fried food is not that good for our health - so we try to limit the amount of our fried food intake. However, in the summer time with all these fresh veggies we indulge ourselves.

Our garden is doing great - can not complain at all - we are getting tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash, zucchini, and okra. This year as in the past - we keep about 10% and give away 90%. We eat most fresh - but also put enough in the freezer to last all winter.

Speaking of putting stuff in the freezer - I have put up quite a few packages of peaches and blackberries for cobblers this winter. Also the strawberries are bearing quite nicely so have been putting them in also. Leon likes them so much with a angel food cake.

4 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

I had no idea how pretty the blossoms on an okra plant were! I also love okra fried...don't care for it much boiled though I do like it in vegetable soup. Hmmm...making myself hungry!

Belvie said...

Okra is one of my favorite veggies too....and like you....I like it fried, boil, or in gumbo. Not many will say they like it boiled, but I remember always cutting the small, tender pods so we could boil it and put a little butter on it. Mmmm! Good.

Wish I was your neighbor!

Anonymous said...

nice plants!

arlene,
Gig Harbor florist

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I love okra. I'm the only one in the house that will eat it. I used to plant it and freeze it for myself. I loved the flowers. Now, after seeing yours, I wish I had done it this year. Enjoy!
Regina