Friday, February 15, 2008

A Perk in Life

Getting older does have it's perks. Yes, there are things that drag us down from time to time. But speaking for myself I would not trade my life with anyone's at this time.

Being retired is such a wonderful feeling.

Oh, I worked hard and enjoyed it when I was in the working force. For the most part I was in the clerical field - did a stint in customer service - but wound up as office manager. Each day was a new challenge and it was interesting to say the least. About a year before I turned 62 my husband suggested I think about retiring. I knew I was getting ready as the drive each day was getting old. I had been doing it for many, many years and was ready to hang up the car keys. Being a hour away from work made for a long day. I would leave the house at 6:00 am and return at 6:00 pm. I got to work a hour before the office opened but then I was able to sort thru e-mails, faxes, make phone call to the east coast. etc before the office started humming with people. When I told management I was quitting the owner suggested I work part time for the last 6 weeks but was paid as if I was there full time. This way everyone would get used to me being gone and they would have to go to my replacment (or for heaven's sake make a decision on their own). All this happened 5 years ago this month.

Now for the perk as mentioned in my post title: Had to have my driver's license renewed this month. I figured since I was in town yesterday might as well go ahead and get it done. I did not have to wait too long - which that in it's self is a perk. Best part I did not have to pay anything for it. The deal is once you reach 65 the cost is zero. Last time when I had it renewed (4 years ago) the cost was half...which I thought was great. I don't know if all states are that way...but Oklahoma is!

Plus, the picture is not bad - considering!

3 comments:

Norma said...

Enjoy those "perks". You earned and deserve every one of them!

My husband and I are really looking forward to his retirement. Not sure when he will do it because it is scary but it will be nice not to have the daily grind.

Kristie said...

I'm glad you are enjoying your retirement!!! I also worked in an office and it really gets tiring at times!
Kristie

bj said...

We are retired, too....I love it! I love not having to get up early, I love spending as much time over my morning coffee as I want, I love being able to make plans with friends for a long lunch, during the week, and then on to thrifting, I love that my hubby can go play golf any time he wants..I love, that if we choose, we don't really have to do a thing all day long but what we want to.
hugs, bj